Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ryan's christmas concert and Kurtis on piano

Here are two videos of my sweetie at his Christmas concert yesterday. I was so impressed with the last song - they signed "we wish you a merry christmas"!



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos




Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos




Have I mentioned how much I love Ryan's teacher? And boy, are we going to miss her as this is her last week. Mrs. W is covering a maternity leave and Ryan's regular teacher is coming back in January. Mrs. W taught me a valuable lesson in pre-judging. I heard we were getting a substitute teacher for 4 months who was coming out of retirement to do this. I immediately thought that she'd be a teacher with old outdated stereotypes, one who would limit Ryan and not include him. I was so worried at the beginning of the year.... and boy, was I wrong. Mrs. W is amazing! She was eager to meet with me and discuss goals for Ryan (outside of his official "individual education plan") and discuss how best to teach him. She fully included Ryan in the class - calling on him when he raised his hands even though most of the time he didn't know the answer (but many times he did!). She taught the class sign language and Ryan "led" the class during those sessions. She held him to a high standard of behaviour - unfortunately, for Ryan, this means a fair number of time-outs - but Tom and I fully expect Ryan to be held to the same standard of behaviour as other children. She encouraged independence but also realized that modifications could be made if the task was too challenging. At first Ryan really missed his junior kindergarten teacher and wasn't thrilled with Mrs. W, but as you can see in the picture, he really really likes Mrs. W now! We really are going to miss her.

Here's a short video of Kurtis doing his piano concert. He did have a school Christmas concert but I didn't get a good video of it.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, Annette and family
Just loved your video's of the kids!! talented children to say the least. We wish you all a blessed Christmas and God's richest blessings for the new year!
One day at the time!!! Love P&S Nauta

Anonymous said...

I am totally impressed! Great job guys!Can't wait to see you soon! We're counting down the days to January!
Love, Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

I know I am hopeless... but I teared right up watching those! I am always a sucker for kid's Christmas concerts etc... thanks for posting this!! They are great!
Have a wonderfull Christmas!!
Jen (& John)

Anonymous said...

Annette,
I loved seeing those videos. Ryan was so well behaved during that concert, & he signed so well. It was really nice to hear about how well his long term sub did, especially since you had so many reservations at first. It sounds like she truely cares for him & wants to include you in making his goals. I hope his regular teacher carries on where this one left off.

Happy New Year!

Anjie