Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Saving Lives

I helped save 3 lives yesterday.

I donated blood.

I have been donating for over 2 years. I had donated previously (about 15 years ago) but hadn't done it since. About 2 1/2 years ago, Mom was in the ER. The lady beside her was receiving blood and I thought, "I should do that." Annette was also sick at the time and I knew that at some point down the road, she might need blood products and I knew I'd want them to be available for her. (Mom did end up needing blood products during her last stay in the hospital. Thank you, strangers!)

The very next day, I was kidless and running errands. I had some extra time, and pulled into a plaza. There on the corner was a sign saying "Blood Donor Clinic Today". If that's wasn't a sign for me to donate...!So I went right in and donated. And have been back every 56 days since. I also coerced invited a friend to come with me about a year ago. We then coerced invited another friend. We make it a night out. I do it for Annette. I do it for Mom. I do it because I hope there will be blood products available when I need them. But I really do it because it's the right thing to do. And you get free cookies and juice

Consider this your little nudge or sign. If you are eligible, roll up your sleeves and give, because it's the right thing to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a 19 year old first time blood donor as of two days ago. And even though I have the biggest bruise I've ever had in my life from it, I'll be back in 56 days (now only 54!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,
Thanks for your comment. Good for you for rolling up your sleeves. You can feel great about saving someone's life!
Thanks for stopping by,
Lisa

All 4 My Gals said...

That's a great gift for the holidays too.