Monday, April 03, 2006

The latest update

So here's what's happened in the past few weeks...
I had my first round of chemo on March 20. The chemo I'm on has to get infused (via iv) over 24 hours so I'm admitted to the hospital. I also need to get an infusion of a drug to protect my kidneys as the chemo is very very hard on my bladder and kidneys. This takes 12 hours. So, in all, the chemo took about 40 hours in total. The chemo was rougher than I had anticipated. I had heard how they're able to control the yucky side effects of chemo with good drugs... Let's just say, we now know which drugs work for me and which ones don't!

I've seen a dietician (the same one we use for Ryan) and am working on including or increasing certain foods on my diet. I'm also starting certain supplements. Hopefully these changes will help deal with what is known as "chemo related fatigue" which I'm already experiencing.

I'm seeing an oncologist at Mount Sinai today for a second opinion. I'm hoping this doctor will agree with the protocol that I've already been given - it means I'm in good hands and then I have no decisions to make. I am so thankful for my cousin, "D". She's an pediatric oncology nurse practitioner and has been such an amazing source of information and of comfort. She knows the questions to ask and has helped me immensely. Thank you D!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea Annette, hope you're feeling better and that the chemo gets easier. Many thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you are blogging Annette, because I think of you day-in and day-out and know that you are tired and don't want to overload you with e-mails....now I can over load you with thoughts and prayers in your comment section!

Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to your blog. This is a great way to keep everyone updated without exhausting yourself.

We're thinking about you, Tom and the boys.

Charmian and Andrew

Anonymous said...

Annette - great way to keep us all updated. Thinking of you all the time ... you are in my prayers every day.

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Hi GF! Glad you are blogging, now I can read daily and call week-endly!

hugs!

All 4 My Gals said...

Great idea Annette! I love you honey. You will sail over this bump! With speed I think. :) HUGS, and I'm glad you're blogging this part of your journey! Nicole