Friday, April 07, 2006

Second opinion update

We saw "the sarcoma expert" , Dr.B at Mount Sinai in toronto for a second opinon on referal from our Dr. C at Grand River Cancer Centre... One of the drugs which is useful in attacking the cancer has lifetime limits and it may be that my battle with Hodgkins when I was a teenager may have used up some of that. The doctors will consult and let me know on Monday.

Dr B also suggested surgery maybe possible - which was interesting as Dr C dismissed it. That option is still quite far away as we need to first get through chemo before surgery is even an option.

We did get some news from my CT scan and it wasn't positive. I have a couple of tumours other than on the pleura (lining of the lung) and they're fairly large tumours. This was quite a bit of a shock as I had been told that they were confined to my pleura. Dr. B is suggesting a bit more agressive use of the chemo to get these "new" tumors in control. The good news is that my type of cancer is very responsive to chemo and they should be able to shrink the tumours.

Monday will be interesting as Dr C receives Dr B's report and we'll discuss what to do next. Dr. B was very optimistic and hopeful which was good too.

5 comments:

All 4 My Gals said...

I'm so glad you have collaboration between your doctors. I love you Annette and will be praying, praying, praying!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you've started this blog so we can keep up with how you're doing. Sorry to hear you didn't receive positive news from the CT scan. It is good that you have a hopeful and optimistic doc working on your case. You're always in my prayers!

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Annette, thinking of you today (Monday) as you undergo your second round, and know we love you!

Anonymous said...

hi
annette
i love the story about the cracked pot. It brought tears to my eyes. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Annette the road is bumpy for you and also your family right now, you are always on our mind and in our prayes, and remember He is there to hold your hand on every bump and dip in that road. Love Peter & Susan